The Dutch designer Wim den Boon designed this pair of chairs in 1954 as a commission for a home in Reeuwijk, in South Holland [purchased directly from the family]. __These are the two remaining chairs of the actual four pictured in Peter Vöge’s book on Wim den Boon [Vöge,1989;p.22]. Although the design never went into production, the chairs exemplify the lasting influence of Gerrit Rietveld and early modernism during the reconstruction period after WWII when Dutch designers continued to experiment and employ a strict/pared-down use of materials and techniques for the cost effective mass-production of furniture.
Chair designed by Dom Hans van der Laan and executed by Jan de Jong for the Raadhuis Budel, 1962/1966. This chair comes from the town hall for which Jan de Jong was the architect and interior designer. Most of the furniture from the town hall was destroyed, a few inhabitants from Budel saved the furniture from the waste containers from which the furniture was thrown into. The chair has an ash wooden structure with brown leather- It retains its original dark brown/green lacquer finish.
Bossche school architect Gerard Wijnen attended classes given by Hans Dom van der Laan in the 1960s. Wijnen was not a prolific designer and his furniture was only made through commission from the architect which accounts for its scarcity.
Wijnen was photographed sitting on one of these chairs as can be seen in the photograph from the ‘s-Hertogenbosch town archives collection.
Dom Hans van der Laan [Netherlands 1904-1991]
An early example of the furniture designed by the Benedictine monk/architect Dom Hans van der Laan. This oak bench (settle) came out of the Sint Stanislas Chapel, built in 1955/56 in the city of Delft in the Netherlands (building by Jan vd Laan, brother of Hans). It would have mostly likely been removed at the time when the chapel was refurbished in the 1980s-90s.
Dom Hans v.d. Laan (Dutch Benedictine Monk and Architect) & Jan de Jong (mid-late c20th)
This chair was part of a collection of furniture that we have acquired that was made for Sint Willibrordus church in Almelo, Netherlands in the 1960s (with full provenance). The church was one of the best examples of modernist churches of the era. Unfortunately it was knocked down in 2005.
Rare version of the “Kakkonen” stackable armchair No. 2. /15. Manufactured by Oy Huonekalu-ja Rakennustyötehdas Ab, Turku, Finland. 1930s.
Finmar label to the underside.
A good example of Aaltos formative years and early designs; this chair is made from laminated and solid birch and retains its original black finish.
Co-designed by Alvar Aalto and Otto Korhonen in 1930, the chair was manufactured over the years as four differing versions. This version is the rarest of the four. The design is similar to one of other versions in that the front legs protrude at the side. However, the front edge of the seat on this version is formed as a more severe right angle as shown in the detail fig.1 (The other version with protruding legs was rounded at the front). It also has a small decorative corner feature when seen from the front that is reminiscent of traditional Chinese chairs.
The chair was illustrated in Alvar Aalto Designer, Alvar Aalto museum p.69 and in Alvar & Aino design collection Bischofberger p.21