Stockmann Orno AB. (Sweden)
Early 1960s production- solid pine wood table and four chairs.
Rare large sized dining table (99 x 87 x 72.5cm) and four stools.
The design mostly attributed nowadays to Lisa Johansson-Pape although research has uncovered evidence that the design was attributed by Stockmann’s to Rauni Peippo and that the link to Lisa Johansson-Pape may have been a later attribution.
Aldo van Eyck (Netherlands, 1918-1999)
1/2 Wall mounted modernist benches.
Rexine over wooden structure with painted steel supports.
This is 1 of 2 Dutch commissioned 1950s wall mounted benches designed by architect Aldo Van Eyck. Some provenance available. The bench is thought to have been designed and made as a private commission in the 1950s for a doctors waiting room..
Aldo van Eyck was an award winning architect from the Netherlands and a member of CIAM. He was one of the most influential protagonists of the Structuralist architectural movement. Van Eyck lectured throughout Europe and northern America propounding the need to reject Functionalism and attacking the lack of originality in most post-war Modernism. Van Eyck’s position as co-editor of the Dutch magazine Forum helped publicise the “Team 10” call for a return to humanism within architectural design.
Ilmari Tapiovaara (Finland 1914-1999)
Laukaan Puu. Finland 1950s
Stained pine. [Two with burnished manufacturer’s markings].
Three rare modular book shelves designed as part of a complete storage system.
Sybold van Ravesteyn (Dutch 1889-1983)
6 x chairs with nickel frames and sprung seats.
An exceptionally rare set of six modernist chairs designed in 1927. They would have been manufactured on commission. The Centraal Museum in Utrecht has similar chairs in their collection.
Dom Hans van der Laan [Netherlands 1904-1991]
An early example of the furniture designed by the Benedictine monk/architect Dom Hans van der Laan. This oak pew/bench (settle) is believed to have come out of the Sint Stanislas Chapel, built in 1955/56 in the city of Delft in the Netherlands (building by Jan vd Laan, brother of Hans). It would have mostly likely been removed at the time when the chapel was refurbished in the 1980s-90s.
Bram van den Berg (Nl)
Stained pine wood chair.
A rare chair made after a commission from Bas van Pelt / The Hague. Circa 1953 for the youth hostel at Ockenberg-Kijckduin in The Netherlands.
This chair’s rudimentary but simple form and functional design typifies the spirit of the utilitarian design movement that surrounded the WWII period in Europe.