‘Thebes’ stool. Mahogany wood with ivorine label.
The design of this stool is a derivative of the ancient Egyptian three legged ‘Thebes’ stool, now in the collection of the British Museum, dating to 1550-1300 B.C. This was first utilised by Liberty & Co. who retailed a version of it from 1884. It was sold in their London showrooms until 1907 as well as having been retailed by Samuel Bing in Paris.
__The Austrian/Czech architect Adolf Loos (1870-1933) first used the design in his apartment in 1903 and his affection for the design was evident as he repeatedly employed it in his commissions until 1927. The stool is often misdescribed as being designed by Loos whereas it was one component within one of Loos’s total design commissions (gesamtkunstwerk)
Jan de Jong (Nl, 1917-2001)/ Dom Hans van der Laan (Nl, 1904-1991)
high table (communion table) – Green stained pine wood with nails.
During the reconstruction period after WWII the Dutch architect Jan de Jong and the Dutch Benedictine monk Dom Hans van der Laan collaborated on several architectural projects including the interior furniture. They created an outstanding body of work defining the the style of the Bossche School. Jan de Jong was able to translate many of Dom v.d.Laan’s idealised concepts and ideas into pioneering buildings and spaces. They worked in such close collaboration however that it is difficult to discern the individual level of input into the furniture they designed. The artist Wim van Hoof worked with the two architects proposing different colour schemes for their projects. The original olive green surface visible on these tables derived from one of those schemes.
Dom Hans van der Laan (1904-1991) was a Dutch Benedictine monk and architect. He was a leading figure in the Dutch ‘Bossche School’. His theories on numerical ratios in architecture, in particular regarding the plastic number, were very influential.
Jan de Jong (1917-2001) was a talented craftsman-architect and student of v.d. Laan and it is claimed that in many way he surpassed his mentor.
This table is part of a collection of furniture that we have acquired. They were made for Sint Willibrordus church in Almelo in the 1960s. The church was one of the best examples from that era. Unfortunately it was knocked down in 2005 as part of an on-going series of closures.
Early edition Finmar / Bowman Bros. dining set. Five model 611 stacking chairs and table. This was Aalto’s first modernist chair produced.
This set came from the home (wife) of Russian /American composer Dimitri Tiomkin best known for his western scores, including Duel in the Sun, Red River, High Noon, The Big Sky, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, and Last Train from Gun Hill.
There are Finmar labels, Bowman Brothers stamps and red ‘Aalto Design’ stamps
The set was once black but whilst in the possession of Mrs Tiomkin it was restored and taken back as close as possible to the wood colour. There is a very nice honey varnish surface.
Between 1925 and 1955 influenced by the Dutch Modernist De Stijl painters and designers Ko Verzuu designed many children’s toys. His designs were inextricably bound up with innovations in art, health care and pedagogy in the first half of the 20th century. In 1920, the sanatorium Berg en Bosch was founded in the sanctuary on the outskirts of Apeldoorn. This sanatorium offered rest and care to tuberculosis patients.
Once patients had recovered from their illness, returning to regular working life often proved to be difficult. In order to prepare patients better for their reintegration, the sanatorium developed a modern treatment: occupational therapy.
One of the ways this took shape was in the production of wooden toys. These toys were given the name ADO; an abbreviation that initially stood for Arbeid door Onvolwaardigen (Labour by the Deficient), but was wisely changed to Apart Doelmatig Onverwoestbaar (Special Functional Indestructible) in 1962.
These chairs are examples of the more seldom seen larger scaled furniture made by ADO.
Two stacking cream white lacquered plywood side tables. Isokon UK.
Designed by Breuer in 1936 Breuer whilst living in the UK – At that time he began to explore plywood as a material. During that period Breuer designed several classic modernist pieces that were put into production by Jack Pritchard of Isokon. We believe that these are a 60s production by John Alan. London.
Manufactured in the 1950s/60s.
Please note: We also have one other single table available – The table is a similar size to the larger one (…but is not the third one to the set) We believe that they were purchased from John Alan company in London in the 1960s where they sold individually (we have a John Alan pamphlet from the period to show this).