Paul Schuitema (Nl.1897-1973)
PS55 armchair for D3. Rare Dutch modernist chair. Designed in 1931 this is a 1930s production.
W.H. Gispen (Dutch 1890-1981)
A model 5012 desk lamp in brass. Manufactured between 1931-38.
Fer Semey (Belgium/Netherlands, early c20th)
Table for H.Pander and Sons. Netherlands 1930s
In 1933 the controversial but now little known Belgian designer Fer Semey took over from Henk Wouda at the Pander company (H.Pander en Zonen /1850-1985 in The Hague, Zoetermeer and Rotterdam), and began to lead the company away from the companies distinguished middle class Hague School/Art Deco-like style for which it had become synonymous towards a more strictly cubistic one…(The Hague School had always incorporated De Stijl influenced geometrical elements, but Semey’s designs took it to a new level of aesthetic strictness and simplicity)
90x90x53cm | Stamped with makers marks to underside
Franz Schuster (Austrian 1892-1972)
Modernist table designed by Viennese architect Franz Schuster during his time in Frankfurt as part of his Aufbau Möbel Programm (construction furniture range or ‘add-on-furniture’), which was furniture conceived as combination furniture for contemporary social housing.
In the mid-1920s, the Viennese architect and furniture designer Franz Schuster was called to Frankfurt together with other Viennese colleagues, including Margarete Schütte-Lihotzky. There Ernst May valued his expertise in the field of housing development. (Under the direction of Adolf Loos, he contributed to the design of several Vienna single-family housing estates and developed prototypes for residential houses and the so-called residential courtyards that still shape Vienna’s cityscape today). .
In Frankfurt, Schuster designed apartment buildings, schools, cinemas and swimming pools. But mainly he designed functional and space-saving type furniture for the compact housing estates and apartments of New Frankfurt.
Originally designed for Frankfurt settlements, the “add-on furniture” – forerunner of the modern Ikea system – quickly became well known and was sold well beyond the city limits until the 1930s / 65cm x 65cm x 50cm.