A large Bossche School alter table. Designed by the Dutch Benedictine monk/architect Dom Hans vd Laan. The metal and stone decorative elements across the side were believed to have been designed by Wim van Hooff (1918-2002) who was a painter and colour consultant who developed his own colour theories in addition to making an important contribution to the architecture of the Bossche School.
This rare example of Van der Laan’s designs was part of a collection of furniture came from a post-war church in Amstelveen in The Netherlands.
These Arts & Crafts chairs are in the Cotswold style and combine elements of British Arts & Crafts with elements of the European modernist movement. The Cotswold School was a development of the Arts and Craft Movement started largely by Ernest Gimson and the brothers Sidney and Ernest Barnsley. The furniture is instantly recognisable with its simple lines, attention to the finest of details, and use of beautiful materials.
Hand made with small variations. They have been varnished in the last decade.
Rare early Bas Van Pelt design double-sided desk with two chairs
Bas van Pelt began his shop ‘My Home’ in The Hague, Netherlands in 1931 and within a short period the company opened showrooms in other cities such as Maastricht and Amsterdam. The domestic interior design firm focused on producing high-quality modern interior furniture. Eventually right up until into the 1990s Bas van Pelt furniture and fabrics were also sold throughout The Netherlands and beyond by well-known modernist suppliers and manufacturers such as Thonet, D3, LOV and Gispen.
This early Bas van Pelt design desk and two chairs were manufactured in solid oak wood. Each piece has the Maker/designer’s name brandished in the wood.
Very rare Artiforte WL3 wall lamp (the wall lamp version of Fillikes more well-known ‘Magneto lamp’). Like the Magneto lamp, very few were manufactured during a short period of production in the mid-1950s. Excellent condition for its age – all original.
Rexine over wooden structure with painted steel supports.
This is 1 of 2 Dutch commissioned 1950s wall mounted benches designed by architect Aldo Van Eyck. Some provenance available. The bench is thought to have been designed and made as a private commission in the 1950s for a doctors waiting room..
Aldo van Eyck was an award winning architect from the Netherlands and a member of CIAM. He was one of the most influential protagonists of the Structuralist architectural movement. Van Eyck lectured throughout Europe and northern America propounding the need to reject Functionalism and attacking the lack of originality in most post-war Modernism. Van Eyck’s position as co-editor of the Dutch magazine Forum helped publicise the “Team 10” call for a return to humanism within architectural design.