(Netherlands 1948 – Now)
A rare artwork / prototype wall light. 1970s.
This rare prototype art object was produced in the 1970s by Maria Hees. It has several layers of moulded plastic fitted around a transformer, a fuse and a bulb. (some damage as would be expected with such a fragile item)
W.(Wim) Den Boon (Netherlands, 1912-1968)Pair of triangular side tables, 1950s
chromed steel and formica board.
The Dutch architect Wim Den Boon alongside Hein Stolle and Pierre Kleykamp formed the ‘Group&’ in the period shortly after WWII as part of the Dutch ‘Goed Wonen’ (Good living) movement. They focused on designing purist interior furniture and design that fitted in seamlessly with the functionalist designs of the thirties.
By the 1950s Den Boon broke with ‘Group &’ and established himself as an independent furniture designer in The Hague. From that time and throughout the 60s he was responsible for many interiors and renovation projects, particularly in The Hague. These tables were designed as part of the interiors of one of those projects – The tables can be seen within the complete interior of a house in the images of Peter Voge’s biography of Den Boon.
As seen, the design of these tables was ahead of its time – There are visible influences of Rietveld and De Stijl or even the Scandinavian designs of Kjaerholm. At his best Den Boon designed some of the most futuristic interiors during the 1950s. His furniture is rare to find and most of it can only be experienced through photographic documentation.
Ref: Peter Voge “Wim Den Boon Binnenhuisarchitect”
Hein Stolle (Netherlands, 1924-2006)
Original painted plywood wall cabinet. 1950s
In the reconstruction period after the second world war, the Dutch architect and furniture designer Hein Stolle experimented with new materials and techniques for the cost effective mass-production of furniture. As a furniture designer, Stolle was a member of Groep & (which comprised Wim den Boon, Hein Stolle and Pierre Kleykamp, 1946-1950). In the early 1950s Stolle designed furniture for the distinguished department stores de Bijenkorf and Metz & Co, often in cooperation with Martin Visser. And in the 1950s and ‘60s he also designed various pieces of furniture for furniture factory ’t Spectrum.
Unique modernist wall cabinet was made for a 1953 exhibition Ons Huis, ons t’huis, (Our House, us at Home) held at De Bijenkorf warehouse in Amsterdam. The cabinet was exhibited at Wonderwood gallery’s exhibition of Stolle’s work in 2004 shortly before his death.
please click on the Merzbau logo (top left) to see all of our current listings.
Literature: Hein Stolle Architect Verteller Meubelontwerper Publisher: Wonderwood, 2004 (book as illustrated above)
Elmar Berkovich (Dutch 1897-1968)
‘Beek’ side table for Spectrum furniture (t’Spectrum)
Designed in 1956 and manufactured for only two years.
The table has been restored.
Bas van Pelt (Netherlands, 1900-1945)
EMS, My Home. 1930s
Bas Van Pelt design modernist chair – The chair has been confirmed by the Bas van Pelt archives as being as a possible prototype and if not, a very rare design. Bas van Pelt often designed experimental furniture to place in the shop window and would only have the designs produced when the appropriate number of orders were received.
Bas van Pelt began his shop ‘My Home’ in The Hague, Netherlands in 1931 and within a short period the company opened showrooms in other cities such as Maastricht and Amsterdam. The domestic interior design firm focused on producing high-quality modern interior furniture. Eventually right up until into the 1990s Bas van Pelt furniture and fabrics were also sold throughout The Netherlands and beyond by well-known modernist suppliers and manufacturers such as Thonet, D3, LOV and Gispen.
Jan van Bommel (Dutch mid c20th)
The Dutch architect Jan van Bommel designed this table as part of a private commission in the 1950s in Rotterdam. The table was purchased directly from the first owner.
Solid teak top with steel and wooden legs.
Dom Hans vd Laan / Jan de Jong (Dutch c20th)
Three bench/ chair sections. These were designed made by the architect/Benedictine monk and architect Jan de Jong in the 1970s as part of a commission for a personal library.