Jan de Jong (1917-2001) & Dom Hans van der Laan (1904-1991)
High back chair, 1967
Original olive green stained oak wood, brown leather with galvanised steel base and copper nails.
Jan de Jong (1917-2001) was a talented craftsman-architect and student of the monk Dom Hans v.d. Laan and it is claimed that in many way he surpassed his mentor. In the late 1950s the two men worked closely together in the Reconstruction Period after WWII to create a body of work as part of the construction of the churches in the style of the Bossche School. Jan de Jong was able to translate many of Dom Hans v.d.Laan’s concepts and ideas into other public and private pioneering buildings and spaces.
This exceptionally rare and early designed chair by Jan de Jong was made for the members of the city (counsel) of Budel in The Netherlands. De Jong designed the town hall and its furniture as a ‘gesamtwerk’ (a complete relational work based on hermetic planning). The chair is in superb original condition.
The Dutch architect Wim Den Boon alongside Hein Stolle and Pierre Kleykamp formed the ‘Group&’ in the period shortly after WWII as part of the Dutch ‘Goed Wonen’ (Good living) movement. They focused on designing purist interior furniture and design that fitted in seamlessly with the functionalist designs of the thirties.
By the 1950s Den Boon broke with ‘Group &’ and established himself as an independent furniture designer in The Hague.
At his best Den Boon designed some of the most futuristic interiors during the 1950s. His furniture is rare to find and most of it can only be experienced through photographic documentation. This actual chair is shown next to a large table in the interior of Den Boon’s own residence in Peter Vöge’s 1989 book.
The design of this chair was inspired by traditional English spade chairs. The back rest/handle having a form similar to a garden spade. The design also shares many formal and conceptual elements with French and Scandinavian modernist designers of the period such as Charlotte Perriand and Pierre Jeanneret.
Literature: W. (WIM) DEN BOON. 1912 – 1968. PUBLICATIONS: P. Vöge – Wim den Boon 1912-1968. Binnenhuisarchitect, Rotterdam 1989
Three sectional benches – Original grey painted pine wood. 1970s.
Dom Hans van der Laan was a Dutch Benedictine monk and architect. He was a leading figure in the Dutch ‘Bossche School’. His theories on numerical ratios in architecture, in particular regarding the plastic number, were very influential.
The inserted photo shows similar designed chairs at the van der Laan stichting.
Jan de Jong (Netherlands,1917-2001) / Dom Hans van der Laan (Netherlands, 1904-1991)
High chair – Green stained camphor wood with copper nails.
During the reconstruction period after WWII the Dutch architect Jan de Jong and the Dutch Benedictine monk Dom Hans van der Laan collaborated on several architectural projects including the interior furniture. They created an outstanding body of work in the style of the Bossche School. Jan de Jong was able to translate many of Dom v.d.Laan’s idealised concepts and ideas into pioneering buildings and spaces. They worked in such close collaboration however that it is difficult to discern the individual level of input into the furniture they designed. The artist Wim van Hoof worked with the two architects proposing different colour schemes for their projects. The original olive green surface visible on this chair derived from one of those schemes.
Dom Hans van der Laan (1904-1991) was a Dutch Benedictine monk and architect. He was a leading figure in the Dutch ‘Bossche School’. His theories on numerical ratios in architecture, in particular regarding the plastic number, were very influential.
Jan de Jong (1917-2001) was a talented craftsman-architect and student of v.d. Laan and it is claimed that in many way he surpassed his mentor.
This chair was part of a collection of furniture that we have acquired that was made for Sint Willibrordus church in Almelo in the 1960s (full provenance including photos of the interior is available). The church was one of the best examples of modernist churches of the era. Unfortunately it was knocked down in 2005.
The Dutch architect Hein Stolle alongside Wim De Boon and Pierre Kleykamp formed the ‘Group&’ in the period shortly after WWII as part of the Dutch ‘Goed Wonen’ (Good living) movement. They focused on designing purist interior furniture and design that echoed the spirit of 1930s functionalist design but made available to a wider audience.The use of softer woods and natural materials was possibly influenced by French designers like Charlotte Perriand.
Extremely rare (1 of only a few made) armchair with adjustable back produced for De Bijenkorf 1948 by the Dutch company ‘t Spectrum.