These Arts & Crafts chairs are in the Cotswold style and combine elements of British Arts & Crafts with elements of the European modernist movement. The Cotswold School was a development of the Arts and Craft Movement started largely by Ernest Gimson and the brothers Sidney and Ernest Barnsley. The furniture is instantly recognisable with its simple lines, attention to the finest of details, and use of beautiful materials.
Hand made with small variations. They have been varnished in the last decade.
19th Century bronze, brass and wood fire set including two stands and three tools.
There is a mid-c19th lozenge shaped registration mark to each stand.
In the midst of the c19th industrial boom, the enthusiasm for the Gothic period, seen as an exemplary society in which the arts blossomed in a mystical and fraternal spirit, was set against what were considered the degrading effects, of mechanisation. In England, Gothic revival style was applied to large public buildings and was widely used by the great ‘manufactories’ of art and industry in the manufacture of products up until the 1880’s. Superb quality, this set has similarities to a range of c19th British architect /designers from Pugin (Talbert and Burges) to Dr. Christopher Dresser.
Dom Hans van der Laan [Netherlands 1904-1991]
An early example of the furniture designed by the Benedictine monk/architect Dom Hans van der Laan. This oak pew/bench (settle) is believed to have come out of the Sint Stanislas Chapel, built in 1955/56 in the city of Delft in the Netherlands (building by Jan vd Laan, brother of Hans). It would have mostly likely been removed at the time when the chapel was refurbished in the 1980s-90s.
‘Thebes’ stool. Mahogany wood with ivorine label.
The design of this stool is a derivative of the ancient Egyptian three legged ‘Thebes’ stool, now in the collection of the British Museum, dating to 1550-1300 B.C. This was first utilised by Liberty & Co. who retailed a version of it from 1884. It was sold in their London showrooms until 1907 as well as having been retailed by Samuel Bing in Paris.
__The Austrian/Czech architect Adolf Loos (1870-1933) first used the design in his apartment in 1903 and his affection for the design was evident as he repeatedly employed it in his commissions until 1927. The stool is often misdescribed as being designed by Loos whereas it was one component within one of Loos’s total design commissions (gesamtkunstwerk)