Poul Kjaerholm (Denmark, 1929-1980)
Pk101 candelabrum for Kold Christensen. 1956.
Brushed steel. Stamped ‘Denmark’. According to Michael Sheridan’s catalogue raisonne on Kjaerholm, the double-helix design of the PK101 illustrates Kjaerholm’s desire to emulate abstraction and economy of form found in the plant kingdom. The thin steel rods attached to the central tube exploit the high tensile strength of steel to reduce the rods to their minimum diameter. The rods were threaded at both ends in order to support a set of rings sized to fit the typical Danish candle commonly used at Christmas.
Together with this candelabrum we are including a set of small ball shaped candles with an extending section to fit the rings of the candelabrum – The candles are designed by Timo Sarpanava.
JJP Oud (Netherlands 1890-1963)
Very rare JJP Oud chair from the director’s room of the Shell Oil company building, completed just after WWII in The Hague /1950.
Probably manufactured by HP Mutters & Sons or Eckhart’s meubelfabrik – Two companies that manufactured other known pieces from the building, now in the Boijman museum collection in Rotterdam.
The chair/design and the design of the interior from which it came is fully documented in Elizabeth Reinhartz-Tergau’s excellent book on the architect published by Boijman van Beuningen museum in 1990 /p.155. (See image 2 which shows the documented image below the supporting text)
Alvar Aalto (Finland 1898-1976)
Early edition Finmar / Bowman Bros. dining set. Five model 611 stacking chairs and table. This was Aalto’s first modernist chair produced.
This set came from the home (wife) of Russian /American composer Dimitri Tiomkin best known for his western scores, including Duel in the Sun, Red River, High Noon, The Big Sky, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, and Last Train from Gun Hill.
The set was once black but has been restored and taken back to the wood colour.
Manuel Marin (Spain, 1942-2007)
Abstract mobile table sculptures (a ‘Stabile’ to use Calder’s term) Enamelled steel combined with metal wire.
Manuel Marin was an assistant to the English sculptor Henry Moore in the 1960s and later worked as an art restorer and gallery owner in New York. From around 1969 onward Marin became interested in mobiles as a form of sculpture and continued to produce them throughout his life until his death in 2007.
We have two sculptures available – Both sculptures are impressed with the artist’s name/signature.
please click on the Merzbau logo (top left) to see all of our current listings.