Dom Hans vd Laan / Jan de Jong (Dutch c20th)
Three bench/ chair sections. These were designed made by the architect/Benedictine monk and architect Jan de Jong in the 1970s as part of a commission for a personal library.
Jan Slothouber & William Graatsma (Dutch c20th+)
Five rare modular cubes from the 1970s.
The Dutch team of Slothouber & Graatsma established themselves from the 1950s as artist/designers with the cube form as their key motif around which they developed various principles of cubic construction alongside multiples and variations thereof. Despite its restrictions they admired the cube for its clarity of form. They applied their thinking around it to a variety of objects, and artworks from small jewellery-scale 3d models and games to larger installation works.
Highly driven personalities, they considered themselves as discoverers of ‘the many applications of the democratic system of cubics’; a system that would ostensively act to counter the rise of the expressive individualism in post-WWII culture. (They later established the CCC_the Center for Cubic Constructions as a forum for promoting their ideas).
Due to their diverse and multidisciplinary output they were never to become global names – But they were a highly respected creative team (representing The Netherlands at the Venice Biennale in 1970)…Donald Judd for one was a great admirer of their work.
Maria Hees (Netherlands 1948 – Now)
A rare artwork / prototype wall light. 1970s.
This rare prototype art object was produced in the 1970s by Maria Hees. It has several layers of moulded plastic fitted around a transformer, a fuse and a bulb. (some damage as would be expected with such a fragile item)
Aldo van den Nieuwelaar (Netherlands, 1944-2010)
TC2 Floor lamp designed in 1969. White enamelled metal.
This early production lamp was produced by Artimeta Soest, Netherlands in 1972.
Inspired by the Dutch Modernist’s use of minimalist and geometric forms Aldo v.d.Nieuwelaar designed a range of products from furniture to carpet, sculptures and building schemes. From 1968 he designed a series of innovative fluorescent lighting manufactured in white and chromed steel tubes.
This floor lamp was from the TC series that were designed in 1969, originally produced in very small numbers. In 1972 Artimeta took these lamps into production – They produced limited numbers of the design until 1974 when production stopped.
The design includes the transformer in the base that acts as a counter weight. Amazingly they were also designed to be hung on the wall. They have holes underneath that enables them to clip onto the wall of so desired although they work best as minimalist light sculptures and give off a superb even warm light. The top section can be positioned by twisting the stem whilst the base remains fixed.